Register to vote in the 2023 Election FAQ

This page will be updated if and when new information becomes available through INEC Nigeria

What is Continuous Voter Registration?
To vote in the 2023 elections, you need to be registered. The only way to do this is to take part in the ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) process, which is currently being run by INEC across Nigeria. It is free to take part, and you will be given an official voters card once completed.

Voter registration is the process of recording your details such as name, age, fingerprints, address and photograph. Biometric voter registration is the capturing of your unique personal and physical details, i.e. name, address, fingerprints and photograph. After this process, you’ll be issued with an authenticated voters card.

You are qualified to register to vote if you:

  1. are a citizen of Nigeria
  2. are over 18 years old
  3. work in, are a resident or originate from the LGA, council or ward covered by the registration centre
  4. present yourself to the registration officers of the Commission for registration as a voter
  5. are not subject to any incapacity to vote under any law in Nigeria

How do I register to vote online?
If you’re a new voter, visit your local government area INEC headquarters or designated INEC registration areas before the CVR deadline of 30 June 2022. Existing registered voters can still apply online for transfers of registration, updating of personal information and replacement of lost or damaged PVCs through the INEC Continuous Voter Registration Portal, before 31st July 2022.

How do I know where my closest registration centre is?
If you wish to visit a registration centre to complete your application or registration, there are centres available in various locations including INEC State and Local Government Offices. Visit the INEC Registration Centre Area Nationwide resource to find centres closest to you.

Can I vote without the Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC)?
No, the PVC is required to verify your details in the voters’ register (electronic and hard copy) assigned to your polling unit.

I haven’t yet collected my Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC), where do I pick it up from?
Find out where by signing into your INEC portal account, or alternatively, visit your local government area INEC headquarters where you registered.

What do I do if I’ve lost or damaged my Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC)?
You will need to log in to your INEC portal account to submit a request to apply for a re-issue.

Do Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) have expiry dates?
No, PVC’s do not expire. Submit updated information to INEC if your personal details change, such as your marital status or address.

If I have moved home since last voting, do I need to change my registered address?
Yes, if you have relocated, you cannot vote in your new location unless you transfer your registration. To start your transfer request, visit your INEC portal account.


  • Make sure your application includes your current address and phone number as this will assist in allocating the polling unit nearest to you as well as contacting you if there are any issues.
  • You will need to attach a photocopy of your Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) to the application and submit it to your nearest registration centre.
  • Apply in good time, well before 60 days to the election. No transfer can be entertained or granted less than 60 days to the election.
  • The Commission may require evidence such as Utility Bill for confirmation of your residency
    When notified, you should pick up the new PVC in person as collection by proxy is not allowed

How do I locate my polling unit to vote on Election Day?
Visit the INEC polling unit search then:

  1. Select the State of your Voter Registration
  2. Select the Local Government Area where you registered
  3. Select the name of your Ward (Registration Area)

How do I check my voter status?
Visit the INEC Voter Verification Platform then:

  1. Select the State of your Voter Registration
  2. Enter your first and last name
  3. Enter either your date of birth or your Voter Identification Number (VIN)

What do I need to bring with me to collect my Permanent Voters Card (PVC)?
You’ll need to present your Temporary Voter’s Card (TVC) to INEC officials in exchange for your PVC at designated INEC local government area offices or registration areas where you completed your voter registration.

Can someone collect my PVC for me?
No, PVCs cannot be collected by proxy.

Can I register more than once?
No, avoid multiple registrations, as this is an electoral offence, punishable by the 2022 Electoral Act, making you liable to either a fine of NGN 100,000, imprisonment, or both.

Does INEC have a telephone helpline?
Yes, for help with your voter registration process you can call:

Do you have any questions related to registering to vote?
Reach out to us on Twitter @SDNNigerDelta

Related Posts