Protecting the environment
We aim to reduce the negative environmental impact of the oil and gas sector, and demonstrate clean energy alternatives. Our work includes documenting, and making public, the extent of pollution, working with the Nigerian environmental regulators to strengthen their work, and supporting the National Assembly to improve environmental legislation.
Fostering sustainable livelihoods
We strive to demonstrate the potential of economic opportunities outside of the oil and gas sector, and support vulnerable young people who are making a living in risky ways to enter safe, decent work. We work in some of the most difficult locations in the Niger Delta running livelihoods projects to demonstrate their potential to communities, development donors, the government, and the private sector.
Promoting good governance
We support local civil society organisations and the public to hold government and the oil companies to account and aim to ensure everyone in the Niger Delta can participate in free, fair, and credible elections. Our work includes election observation and reporting, supporting women to engage in politics, and working with communities to engage government to access budgets and plans, and to demand better services in response to their needs.
Supporting peace and security
We advocate to persuade the government and oil companies to listen to the concerns of those living in the Niger Delta, and to deliver long-term development interventions. Our work includes supporting dialogue and mediation between local communities, policy work with government, and working with at-risk groups to reduce local conflict and intra-communal violence, such as cultism.
Across all of our work, we act on the basis of our core principles:
- To raise the voices of those living in the Niger Delta and put their perspectives and experiences at centre of our work
- To promote gender equality and to widen participation, inclusion and non-discrimination for all groups
- To maintain independence and engage across all actors to identify opportunities to promote peace and development
- To be transparent and accountable to those we work in the interest of
- To be adaptable and responsive when political opportunities arise