Call for applications:
Application Deadline: 11:59pm, July 28, 2019
The Ken Jr Award for Innovation is a 6-month ‘incubation’ programme for aspiring tech entrepreneurs, providing training, mentorship support, and soft skills to teams of people who have a business idea and minimum viable product that they want to take to market.
Objective: to help mid-stage startups to build on their idea/ prototype/ venture through technology mentoring, validation, intellectual property support, marketing strategy, team building, fundraising advisory etc.
Mid-stage startups: have a minimum viable product, that has been validated; meaning the problem and solution is clearly defined, user experience research has been carried out, and—if possible—a ‘business model canvas’ has already been created.
The Award also aims to foster integration of the Niger Delta innovative and tech community with the national tech community, in order to drive development in the region. It is hoped that the programme will contribute to the existing pool of social innovators and entrepreneurs striving to change the narrative of the Niger Delta while contributing to its economic diversification and growth.
The Ken Jr. Award is looking for startup ventures with ground-breaking tech solutions to social and civic problems to join the Ken Saro-Wiwa Tech Hub 2nd cohort for August 2019-January 2020.
As a local pioneer, your startup may be asked to contribute towards the development of the local tech ecosystem, either in-kind or through contributions to the KSIH. This will be discussed further during the application process.
- Applicants must be between 18-35 years old
- You must be resident in Port Harcourt for the duration of the programme
- Startup ideas MUST be solving a social problem in the Niger Delta region
- Applicant start-ups must have a minimum viable product
- Entrepreneurship traits: you must demonstrate entrepreneurship traits such as risk tolerance, self-confidence, critical thinking, problem-solving, grit/persistence, proactiveness, and creativity
- You must have a minimum of two team members (a Founder and a Chief Technical Officer) and show the ability to grow your team during the program
- Viable business model: your business or idea should have the potential to generate revenue
- Digital literacy skills: you must have basic digital literacy skills which will be applied throughout program exercises and activities
- English proficiency: you must demonstrate the ability to read, write, and speak proficiently in English
Successful applicants will be awarded the following:
The programme will provide successful applicants with the support needed to advance their digital enterprises. This will be achieved through:
- N500,000 grant to be invested in the business, with SDN oversight
- Mentorship: hands-on support from experienced entrepreneurs
- Training: immersive learning, tools, resources, and opportunities to network with leading entrepreneurship experts through the fireside chats
- Female participants will receive additional exposure to specialized confidence building activities
- Peer Learning: accountability sessions designed to promote interactions among participants
- Self-contained office space at the Ken Saro-Wiwa Innovation Hub
- High-speed internet connection
- Electricity supply
- Access to organisations’ network
- Access to support and event space for holding workshops and trainings
To apply: follow the link http://bit.ly/32a2FfX to fill in the necessary information, download a copy of the application, and email to email@example.com with “APPLICATION TO THE KEN JR. AWARD” as subject of the mail.